Those of you who have followed my blog for a while probably know that
Flippity is one of my go-to recommendations for anyone looking to make games, flashcards, and timelines with Google Sheets. Recently, Flippity introduced a new template for making your own online board game through Google Sheets.
With Flippity’s new board game template you can create a game that includes up to eight players, has up to three dice to roll, and interactive game squares. You game can also include videos, pictures, Google Drawings, and graphs. And your students can play your game without an email address or having to create any kind of online account. Take a look at my short video below to see how you can create and play your own online board game.
Key points from the video:
- You can customize the player markers and use pictures instead of the default markers.
- You can include pictures in each game square.
- You can use up to three dice in your game.
- You can have each square on the board give a different direction or prompt.
- Your deck of cards can include videos, pictures, links, and graphs.
Applications for Education
Flippity’s new board game template could be great for developing a fun review activity for your students to play in your online or in-person classroom. If you were to have students use it remotely, I might have one student screenshare it via Google Meet or Zoom and then move the pieces for each player. Since you can link to just about anything in the game cards, I’d put links to digital flashcards where students have to answer a question correctly in order to advance on the game board.